Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 80 - Sunday 2nd May

Awoke yesterday morning to the unmistakable sounds of a rooster...cocka doodle do!And to leave me in no doubt, there were 9 further chants of "cocka doodle do". All quiet on the southern front this morning....a reluctant rooster or someone else's? Time will tell but I was sure it was one of our "girls" yesterday and I bet it's Mel C from the Spice Girl team.

Yesterday was a hard slog in the garden and a couple of quick walks with Floyd. I'm so classy nowadays, I noticed when I got home from the first walk, not only was my t shirt on back to front but inside out as well. God help me if I ever get another job, I'll need a refresher course in my personal appearance!

I found a fairytale toadstool in the garden - one of those cute red ones with white spots. Wonder if there are pixies at the bottom of the garden too....(feral cats would probably eat them.)

Came across a fish stand selling mutton birds the other day. Being keen on trying most foods (that brought back memories of dire alpaca), I asked about it. She said don't cook it indoors as it stinks but it tastes delicious! Ughhhhhhhhh. Seems somewhat incongruous to me. Arthur tells me he used to catch them - they are full of oil and so revoltingly smelly that once he finished preparing them, he had to throw his clothes away. How hungry would you have to be? How good can they taste? I can safely say I won't be experimenting with it anytime in the near future.

The other interesting snippet I heard recently is that about 50% of fishermen in Tassy can't swim. This is because they reckon the water is so cold, the cold would kill you before drowning...interesting logic. Apparently, they're not that fond of life jackets either. Its a risky business.

Winsor is in South Australia and I'm now at the picture hanging stage. It's all coming together well and there's light at the end of the tunnel. Only the work front has been slow - not a lot about and not easy to secure something. No doubt once I'm successful with one application, I'll get offered another. Will worry about that if it happens. Til next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment