Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 9 - Saturday

Slept in today - 8.40am - unheard of! Floyd and I visited Mick and his family to thank him. Further along, we were invited in to meet another George St resident's bird menagerie. He had some exotic types from South America...wondered if they were actually legal...Couldn't stay, as his boisterous puppy was pissing Floyd off and I felt it wise to move on before he did something we'd regret.

It was in the 30s today with a milky sky. Before the evening chill, I grabbed the mutt and took off on another discovery tour. Thought we'd try to find Matthew Evans's house. We passed cows, pigs, llamas and even white donkeys. I think I identified the house just after the road turned to gravel, when a bloody great huntsman spider crawled across the windscreen and over my side window. Harmless maybe but still capable of freaking me out. Cygnet is full of spiders and flies....one of these 2 critters is failing in their food-chain cycle responsibilities - perhaps the huntsmen feed on humans here instead..

We continued on past Lymington to a spot called Poverty Point. There were actually 2 vans (one unregistered and it looked like something of a permanent fixture)and a car - refreshing to see some people on a beach here - 3 adults and 3 kids. The kids were throwing reddy/brown jellyfish out of the water by stabbing them with sticks - charming. Never seen jellyfish anything like them, don't know if they are nasty or not but they probably didn't deserve the "stab and chuck" treatment!

On the way back, couldn't resist the urge to follow a gravel road called Drip Beach Rd. What a charming little bay at the end of this road. A huge tree had toppled into the water, some time ago by the look of it and a young family was having a fabulous time playing on the huge tree. Floyd raced up and down the sandy shore and was completely incapable of keeping his eyes open on the way home..he'll sleep well tonight. My souvenir was a bunch of yellow wildflowers.

Noticed on the way back that the my car's average speed has increased from 26 kms to 68 - definitely not in Sydney anymore....also I must change the CD - Norah Jones is on about her 5th rotation. I really miss my favourite Sydney radio station - the choice here is minuscule and the reception poor - small price to pay(but I must change that CD).

Got back to the house and hosed the bird poo and gravel dust off my car. What a novelty...don't think I've used a hose on a car of mine since we were in Balmain in the 80s! No recycling, no picking up of dog poo (hasn't that caught me out - prefer the shells and wildflowers as souvenirs)and no water restrictions (I think. Somewhat ironically, our water is almost undrinkable but I am assured this is a problem unique to us in Cygnet.

No news from the final part of our removal, no call from the antenna man or the electrician from a request from days ago, no visit from the chimney sweep to discuss heating options and finish the job he started. The gardener guy confirmed he didn't complete the cleaning of our gutters about a month ago and should be around early next week to complete the job. The IT guy still hasn't sent his bank details so I can pay him...hard to get them here but they don't seem to be on a hurry to be paid either..Welcome to Cygnet time - it's hard to get upset by them......

No comments:

Post a Comment